Friday, February 7, 2014

In Studio With... Louise Goodman Ceramics


Louise: I am Louise Goodman.I am in love with Beauty, it's the focus of my life. I am an artist and an artisan. I create my work  in my little studio by the pond on this beautiful island on the west coast of Canada where I live.

Thrive: What got you started on this creative path and how long have you been at it?

L:  When I was about ten, I was taken to visit a potter who showed us how he worked on the wheel. I was mesmerized! When I was fourteen I was taken to the Rodin museum, and while the other girls were making silly comments   and giggling,I was feeling "The hand of Chopin"  and contemplating the imposing " Head of Balzac". Shortly after I arrived in Canada, I was invited to join a friend at the Burnaby art center the next sunday to play with clay. That was it for me! That was the summer of 1976!


T: What is your favourite thing about being a business owner?


L: I love spending time in my studio, listening to the rain and creating form and meaning out of the raw, sensuous material that is the earth.

T: Explain your creative process.


L: I am a very intuitive artist. My body knows what it wants to say, feel, express and I try to follow, not a simple feast! My hands, my head and the material are in constant conversation while I hold a vision of what needs to be said.

T: What keeps you motivated?

L: These days I tend to get to the studio in the later morning or early afternoon. Being very introspective I first journal and write in the morning. This is when I explore the more abstract side of my work. I approach my work as a poet ,I think, a visual and tactile one. I am interested in the poetry of life: nature, simplicity, essence.

T: When the sky is falling and work is overwhelming what do you do to relieve stress?

L: When the world or I, get to me and I hurt, I usually focus on what I love about life: A walk in the forest near my home, I listen to african music, watch a french film.

T: What do you love about your studio?

L: It has a simple beauty to it, it is unpretentious but warm and inspiring.



T: What song are you listening to right now?

L: I just listened to a whole album by Johnny Clegg. What a spirit!

T: What was the last movie that you watched?

L: The last film I watched was a documentary about Giacometti, one of my favorite sculptor. It was a moment for me,that's what it's all about i thought!

T: Best advice you have been given?

L:  " Follow your bliss"








No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...